Ambati Thirupathi Rayudu is an Indian professional cricketer. He plays as a right-handed middle-order batsman, who occasionally keeps wicket and bowls right-arm off-breaks. He also plays for Hyderabad in domestic cricket and Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League (IPL). It was a roller-coaster 2018-19 season for Rayudu, where he went from being India’s designated no.4 position in ODIs to being left out of the squad itself, forced Rayudu to retire from international cricket. He also endured a disastrous 2019 IPL but the management’s style of backing players m retained him for the 2020 season.
|Full Name||Ambati Thirupathi Rayudu|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm|
|in meters- 1.70 m|
|in feet inches- 5’ 7”|
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg|
|in pounds- 143 lbs|
|International Debut||Test- Did Not Play|
|ODI- 24 July 2013 vs Zimbabwe in Harare|
|T20- 7 September 2014 vs England in Birmingham|
|Last Match||Test- Did Not Play|
|ODI- 8 March 2019 against Australia at Ranchi|
|T20- 22 June 2016 against Zimbabwe at Harare|
|International Retirement||2019-07-03 00:00:00|
|Jersey Number||#5 (India)|
|#9 (IPL, County Cricket)|
|Domestic/State Team||• Baroda|
|• Hyderabad Heroes|
|• Mumbai Indians|
|• Chennai Super Kings|
|Bowling Style||Right-arm offbreak|
|Favourite Shot||Scoop Shot|
|Date of Birth||1985-09-23 00:00:00|
|Age (as in 2020)||35 Years|
|Birthplace||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh|
|School||Bhavan's Sri Ramakrishna Vidyalaya, Sainikpuri, Secunderabad|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Travelling|
|Controversies||• Throughout his career, Rayudu was involved in confrontations with players and umpires.|
|• He was involved in a scuffle with Hyderabad player Arjun Yadav while playing for Andhra Pradesh in a Ranji match in 2005. In the scuffle, Yadav attacked Rayudu with a stump.|
|• In a 2012 IPL match, Rayudu used foul language against Harshal Patel. For this act, he was fined 100% of his match fee.|
|• In the 2014 India A's tour of Australia, he was seen hurling expletives at the umpire after his dismissal.|
|• After a match in the 2016 IPL, Rayudu and Harbhajan Singh were involved in an on-field spat.|
|• In 2017, a video of Ryudu got viral on social media, in which he was seen manhandling a senior citizen.|
|• In 2018, he received a two-match ban by the BCCI after his heated confrontation with the umpires during a Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy match against Karnataka.|
|• In January 2019, he was reported for suspected illegal bowling actions in Tests, ODIs, and T20Is; as the bowlers are allowed to flex their elbows only up to 15 degrees.|
|• In April 2019, selectors dropped him from the World Cup squad in favor of Vijay Shankar, Rayudu tweeted "Just Ordered a new set of 3d glasses to watch the world cup."|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||2009-02-14 00:00:00|
|Parents||Father- Ambati Sambasiva Rao (worked at the archives department)|
|Favourite Cricketer(s)||Sachin Tendulkar, V V S Laxman, Steve Waugh|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ambati Rayudu
- Ambati Rayudu is an Indian former cricketer from Hyderabad.
- In 1992, when Rayudu was 8 years old, his father enrolled him in a coaching camp in Hyderabad, which was run by former Hyderabad cricketer Vijay Paul.
- In an interview, Rayudu revealed that his first memory of watching international cricket was the Hero Cup, in 1993.
- In 2002, at the age of 16, Rayudu made his first-class debut during the 2001-02 Ranji Trophy.
- Rayudu had claimed for the Indian cap after scoring 210 and 159 not out against Andhra in only his third Ranji game. In the same match, Rayudu earned the tag of being the youngest player to score a double century and a century in a Ranji match.
- He captained India’s under-19 World Cup team in 2004, which had players like Suresh Raina, Irfan Pathan, Dinesh Kartik, RP Singh, and Shikhar Dhawan.
- Indian senior cricket team manager Mr. Ranga Reddy congratulated Ambati Tirupati Rayudu, who scored a match-winning 177 for the Indian under-19 team against England
- In December 2012, Rayudu was picked as the replacement player for the injured Manoj Tiwary for the T20I series against England. He was selected by the newly formed selection panel, chaired by Sandeep Patil.
- Rayudu and V.V. S. Laxman have played together in the Ranji Trophy.
- Apart from being a batsman, he was a part-time off-spinner and wicket-keeper.
- His bowling action was similar to that of Sri Lanka off-spinner Muthiah Muralitharan.
- When India was playing a practice match against Australia A team in Australia, an umpire gave him lbw out which he didn’t agree upon, and lost control over his emotions.
- During the 2014 IPL, once he brought a homemade Biryani for MS Dhoni and his Chennai Super Kings (CSK) team players.
- He is a huge fan of Manchester United football club.
- After being ignored twice when two Indian players, Shikhar Dhawan and Vijay Shankar, sustained injuries in the 2019 Cricket World Cup, Rayudu, on 3 July 2019, announced his retirement from international cricket.
- In his career, Rayudu played 55 ODIs scoring 1694 runs with an average of 47.05 and 6 T20Is scoring only 42 runs with an average of 10.50.