Genelia D’Souza is an Indian actress, model, and host. She has appeared in Telugu, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, and Malayalam language films. After gaining wide attention in a Parker Pen commercial with Amitabh Bachchan, D’Souza began her acting career with Tujhe Meri Kasam in 2003. She was recognized for her role in Boys the same year, and later established herself in Telugu cinema by acting in several Telugu films during 2003-2005.
|Nickname(s)||Bubbly, Cheenu, Geenu|
|Profession||Model & Actress|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm|
|in meters- 1.68 m|
|in feet inches- 5’ 6”|
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 55 kg|
|in pounds- 121 lbs|
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||34-28-36|
|Debut||Film (Hindi): Tujhe Meri Kasam (2003)|
|Film (Tamil): Boys (2003)|
|Film (Telugu): Satyam (2003)|
|TV: Tere Mere Beach Mein (2009), a celebrity chat show, hosted by Farah Khan|
|Awards||2006: Filmfare Award for Best Actress- Telugu for the film Bommarillu|
|2015: IIFA Outstanding Performance By A Regional Language Film|
|Date of Birth||1987-08-05|
|Age (as in 2019)||32 Years|
|School||Apostolic Carmel High School, Bandra, Mumbai|
|College/University||St. Andrew's College, Bandra, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelors in Management Studies|
|Address||602, Pura Building, Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Mumbai|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Tarvelling, Watching Films|
|Controversies||• In June 20110, she attracted controversy for attending the IIFA Awards in Colombo; as th award function had been denounced by the Bollywood and the South Indian Film Industry over the killing of Tamilian civilians in Sri Lanka.|
|• While shooting for the film Force (2011) along with John Abraham, someone clicked their photo when they were shooting for a wedding scene. The photo went viral; claiming that Genelia was married to John.|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||2012-02-03 00:00:00|
|Husband/Spouse||Ritesh Deshmukh (Actor)|
|Children||Son(s)- Riaan (born on 25 November 2014), Rahyl (born on 1 June 2016)|
|Parents||Father- Neil D'Souza (a senior official with Tata Consultancy Services)|
|Mother- Jeanette D'Souza (former MD of the Pharma Multinational corporation)|
|Siblings||Brother- Nigel D'Souza (Image in the Parents's section above)|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Om Puri, Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favourite Actress||Sandra Bullock and Aishwarya Rai|
|Favourite Film(s)||Devdas, Dark Knight, Titanic|
|Favourite Colour(s)||Black, White, Red|
|Favourite Perfume Brand(s)||XX, Diamond|
|Favourite Travel Destination(s)||Italy, London|
|Favourite Food||Roast Chicken with stuffing and palm sauce, Christmas Pudding|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Genelia D’Souza
- Does Genelia D’Souza smoke?: No
- Does Genelia D’Souza drink alcohol?: No
- She was born and raised into a Marathi-speaking Mangalorean Catholic Family in Mumbai.
- Her mother, Jeanette D’Souza, had to leave the post of the Managing Director of a Pharma Multinational corporation to help Genelia with her career.
- According to Genelia, her name is a portmanteau (a linguistic blend of words) of her parents- Jeanette and Neil. She furthers says that her name means “rare” or “unique.”
- Genelia completed her bachelor’s degree in Management Studies while shooting for her debut film, Tujhe Meri Kasam in 2003.
- During her school and college days, she was a sports enthusiast and was a state level athlete and a national level football player.
- At the age of 15, Genelia had become a household name when she did a Parker Pen commercial with Amitabh Bachchan.
- She also gained wide attention when she did a Fair & Lovely advertisement during the 2003 Cricket Worl Cup.
- She signed three Telugu movies simultaneously at the age of 16.
- She made her Bollywood debut with Ritesh Deshmukh in the movie Tujhe Meri Kasam in 2003.
- She dated Ritesh Deshmukh for a decade before tying the knot with him.
- The year 2006 proved to be a significant turning point in Genelia’s career; as she did two Telugu films in early 2006- Happy and Raam. The most successful film of her career “Bommarillu” was also released in the same year.
- After nearly five-year hiatus in Bollywood, Genelia made a comeback in Bollywood in June 2008 with the film “Mere Baap Pehle Aap.” However, the film failed at the box office.
- Her role of Aditi Mahant in the blockbuster Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na gained wide popularity.
- Apart from doing lead roles in many films, Genelia also made cameo appearances in Jai Ho and Lai Bhaari in 2014.
- Genelia is also into philanthropy and is associated with “The Banyan,” a voluntary organization which rehabilitates homeless women with mental illness in Chennai.
- In 2009, Genelia was one of the judges at the grand finale of Gladrags Mega Model and Manhunt.
- Genelia D’Souza holds a Limca world record of delivering four different super hit films in four different languages- Ready (Telugu), Satya in Love (Kannada), Santosh Subramaniam (Tamil), and Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na (Hindi) in a calendar year.
- Genelia has appeared in a number of popular TV commercials including Fanta, Chocolate Perk, Virgin Mobile India, Fastrack watches, LG mobiles, Garnier, and Dabur Vatika hair oil.