Prabhudeva is famous for his dance choreography and also as a film director, producer and actor. He has worked in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Malayalam and Kannada films. In a career spanning twenty five years, he has performed and designed a wide range of dancing styles and has garnered two National Film Awards for Best Choreography.Beginning with a series of acting roles in the 1990s and early 2000s, Prabhu Deva featured in several commercially successful films including Kadhalan (1994), Minsara Kanavu (1997) and VIP (1997).
|Name Earned||Indian Michael Jackson|
|Profession(s)||Indian Film Director, Dance Choreographer, and Actor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 182 cm|
|in meters- 1.82 m|
|in feet inches- 6’ 0”|
|Debut||Film (Tamil, Choreographer): Vetri Vizha (1989)|
|Film (Tamil, Actor): Indhu (1994)|
|Film (Telugu, Director): Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana (2005)|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||National Film Award|
|• 1996: Best Choreography for Minsara Kanavu (1997)|
|• 2004: Best Choreography for Lakshya (2004)|
|2005: Best Choreography for Lakshya (2004)|
|2019: For his contribution in the field of arts|
|Date of Birth||3 April 1973 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||46 Years|
|Educational Qualification||School Dropout|
|Controversy||In 2010, Prabhu Deva's wife, Latha, filed a petition at the family court, seeking orders to prevent her husband from entering into a live-in relationship with his alleged girlfriend Nayanthara. Moreover, Latha threatened to go on a hunger strike if her demand wasn't met. Several women organizations conducted protests against Nayanthara for bringing disrepute to the Tamil culture. |
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Latha (Divorced)|
|• Nayanthara, Actor (Ex-Girlfriend)|
|Marriage Date||Year 1995|
|Wife/Spouse||Ramlath or Latha (ex-wife)|
|• Late Vishal Deva (Died in 2008, due to cancer)|
|• Rishi Raghavendra Deva|
|• Adhith Deva|
|Parents||Father- Mugur Sundar (Choreographer)|
|• Raju Sundaram (Choreographer)|
|• Nagendra Prasad (Choreographer)|
|Dancer(s)||Hrithik Roshan, Michael Jackson|
|Director(s)||S. Shankar, K. Balachande, Dasari Narayana Rao, and K. Raghavendra Rao|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Prabhu Deva
- Prabhu Deva is a famous choreographer, director, producer, and actor in India.
- Prabhu’s father won the National Award for choreography in 1994. Inspired by his father, he developed an interest in dancing at a very young age.
- He is well versed in the Indian classical dance forms such as Bharatanatyam, which he learnt from Dharmaraj and Udupi Lakshminarayanan. Later, he got training in western dance forms too.
- At the age of 11, he appeared for the first time on a stage.
- When he was 16 years old, he choreographed the veteran actor Kamal Hassan for the film Vetri Vizha (1989).
- Prabhu was in a live-in relationship with his ex-wife, Ramlath, who was then a struggling dancer. They secretly got married in 1995, and later, they were blessed with three children. Prabhu insisted her to convert her religion from Islam to Hinduism. She even changed her name from Ramlath to Latha. The couple got divorced on 2 July 2010, after Prabhu confessed his love for the South-Indian actress, Nayanthara.
- After the divorce, he moved in a live-in relationship with Nayanthara, but they got separated in 2012. There were rumours that the reason for their break up was that Prabhu backed off on getting married to her.
- Before, appearing on the big screen, Prabhu Deva choreographed in more than 100 Hindi and regional films. Some of his best-choreographed songs are ‘Muqabala Muqabala’ (Hum Se Hai Muqabla, 1994), ‘Urvashi Urvashi’ (Hum Se Hai Muqabla, 1994) ‘Kay Sera Sera’ (Pukar, 2000).
- In an interview the South-Indian actor Chiranjeevi said,
I owe a lot to Prabhu Deva because he was the brain behind my dance numbers which were very popular with the masses. The boy is a born dancer.”
- He has acted in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Kannada films including ABCD (2013), Lakshmi (2018), Pon Manickavel (2019), and Street Dancer (2020).
- He has directed a few films including Shankardada Zindabad (2007), Wanted (2009), Ramaiya Vastavaiya (2013), Dabangg 3 (2019), and Radhe (2020).
- He is one of the few celebrities who is honoured with a wax statue at the celebrity wax statue Museum, Lonavala, Mumbai.Prabhu Deva Posing with His Wax Statue
Prabhu Deva Posing with His Wax Statue
- In 2010, he started a dance school in Singapore.