Rahul Roy (born 9 February 1968) is an Indian film actor, producer, and former model known for his works in Bollywood, and Television. Roy began his acting career with the 1990 blockbuster Aashiqui, a Mahesh Bhatt production as the lead actor with newcomer Anu Agarwal.
|Profession(s)||Model, Actor, and Producer|
|Famous Role||'Rahul' in the Bollywood film 'Aashiqui' (1990)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm|
|in meters- 1.78 m|
|in feet & inches- 5 10|
|Debut||Film: Aashiqui (1990)|
|TV: Kaise Kahoon (1998)|
|Date of Birth||9 February 1968 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||52 Years|
|School(s)|| St. Columbus High School, New Delhi|
| The Lawrence School, Sanawar, Solan in Himachal Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification||B. Com |
|Political Inclination||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Hobbies||Swimming, Playing Cricket, and Reading Books|
|Tattoo||On his left chest|
| Once, there was a news in a well-known newspaper that Rahul Roy was dating an old lady. Later, it was found that the lady was his mother. In an interview, Rahul said,|
|Once I visited Hotel Taj with a group of my friends for a party. My mother was also there already with her friends. She was very beautiful. When she saw me she asked me to dance together. Next day it became a headline of a newspaper. A news was published that, Rahul Roy was caught while dancing with an old lady last night.|
| When he was shooting for the film 'Jab Jab Dil Mile' (1994) in the Film City, he had an action sequence in which his jeep went out of control due to brake failure, which unfortunately hit a man who was watching the shooting and got severely injured. After this incident, an FIR was registered against Rahul at the Goregaon Police Station, but the producer sorted out the issue, and he wasnt arrested. |
| While he was shooting for the film 'Gumrah' in 1993, a local newspaper published news in which his name was linked with an illegal dealer Riyazat Hussain. Later, the director Yash Johar mediated into it and settle the whole matter. |
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends|| Pooja Bhatt, Actress (Rumoured)|
| Manisha Koirala (Actress)|
| Suman Ranganathan (Actress)|
| Rajlaxmi Khanvilkar (Model)|
| Sadhna Singh (Model)|
|Marriage Date||Year 2000|
|Wife/Spouse||Rajlaxmi R. Roy (2000-2014)|
|Parents||Father- Deepak Roy (businessman)|
|Mother- Indira Roy (writer for the UNICEF magazine)|
|Siblings||Brother- Rohit Roy (twin brother)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rahul Roy
- Does Rahul Roy drink alcohol?: Yes Rahul Roy in a Party
- He has a twin brother, Rohit Roy who is 25 minutes younger to him. His maternal uncle, Cory Walia is a popular name in the fashion industry.
- Actor, Shah Rukh Khan was his batchmate in St. Columbus High School, New Delhi.
- His parents got divorced when he was 11 years old. After his parent’s separation, Rahul, along with his brother Rohit, shifted to a boarding school in Himachal Pradesh. In his boarding school, Sanjay Dutt was his senior and Pooja Bedi was his junior.
- After completing his graduation, he started working in his father’s company. He met the fashion designer, Rohit Khosla in Delhi. Rohit asked Rahul to try his luck in modelling. Rahul started his career in modelling and within 20 days, the designer and choreographer, Hemant Trivedi, spotted him and offered him a modelling project in Mumbai
- In the late 1980s, his mother used to write articles for a fashion magazine, and after going through one such article of her, the noted Bollywood filmmaker, Mahesh Bhatt, arranged a meeting with her. She showed Rahul’s photos to Mahesh Bhatt, he liked his photos and expressed his desire to cast Rahul in his film. In an interview, Rahul revealed this story, he said,
- After reading an article that my mother wrote for a fashion glossy, Mahesh Bhatt sahab expressed the desire meet her. That’s when he saw my pictures and asked whether I would want to work in Hindi films. So, my mother asked me to meet Bhatt sahab once. He told me to come and see him at his Juhu home. When I met him, he narrated a line about the film (Aashqui)…and I was convinced about do it.”
- Rahul acted in the film Aashiqui (1990) along with Anu Aggarwal and Deepak Tijori. The film was houseful for almost six months, which was a great achievement for the whole ‘Aashiqui’ team. Rahul became very popular after the film, and people started recognising him as the ‘Aashiqui Boy.’
- At that time, his hairstyle became a trendsetter in India.
- He signed 47 films in 11 days just after the success of his debut film, but he rejected some films due to his busy schedule.
- He has acted in many Bollywood films like Pyaar Ka Saaya (1991), Junoon (1992), Sapne Sajan Ke (1992), Naseeb (1997), and Phir Kabhi (1999).
- He acted in the autobiographical film of Mahesh Bhatt titled ‘Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee’ along with Pooja Bhatt.Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee
- In 1998, he met the supermodel Rajlaxmi Khanvilkar in a party. They became friends, and soon, fell in love with each other. In 2000, the couple got married and after almost 14 years of their marriage, the couple got divorced. Reportedly, the reason behind their divorce was that Rajlaxmi wanted to set up her business in Australia, but Rahul was not comfortable with her decision to settle in Australia. In an interview, Rahul said,
I have the highest respect for Rani (Rajlaxmi). She didn’t meet me when I was at the peak of my career. She met me when I was down. She has literally carried me on her shoulders although she is 11 years younger. She’s a tremendous woman. We have an amazing relationship. She understands me. Both of us would like to spend more time together, but with her spa and salon that she is doing in Australia, she needs to spend a lot of time there. But, on an average, I go there four times a year and when she comes down she spends at least a month. We have filed for divorce by mutual consent. Rajlaxmi will always remain an integral part of my life. She shares the same sentiment. Her family is still my family and that’s that. I’ll always be there for her.”
- He has appeared in a few TV serials including Kaise Kahoon (1998), Karishma- The Miracles of Destiny (2003), and Comedy Nights Bachao (2016).
- Later, his downfall started, and his maximum films failed to do well on the box-office. In 2007, he participated in the first season of Bigg Boss. He won the title, which consisted of a trophy and Rs. 1 crore.
- In 2011, he started his own film production company, ‘Rahul Roy Productions.’ He continued acting in films as well and appeared in the films like 2B Or Not To B (2015), 2016 The End (2017), Cabaret (2019), and Agra (2020).Cabaret (2019)
- He was featured in the music video ‘Sufiyana Tu’ in December 2019.
- In February 2020, he appeared with his Aashiqui (1990) film co-actors Anu Aggarwal and Deepak Tijori in ‘The Kapil Sharma Show.’
Rahul Roy with Anu Aggarwal, Deepak Tijori, and Kapil Sharma
- He owns ‘Rajpipla Kings,’ a cricket team of Gujarat’s Iconic VPL-Valiant Premier League.
- In 2017, he joined the BJP at the party headquarters in New Delhi. On joining the BJP, he said,
- The way Narendra Modi ji and Amit Shah ji have been taking the country forward and the way the perspective of the world towards India has changed in the past two years is remarkable. I am elated to have taken this decision.”
- He has been honoured with life membership of the ‘International Film and Television Club’ of the ‘Asian Academy of Film & Television.’
- He is often invited as the chief guest at various events.
- He revealed in ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ in 2020 that he was offered to play the role of Shah Rukh Khan in the Bollywood film Darr (1993), but due to his busy schedule, he rejected the offer.
- In an interview, Kareena Kapoor said that Rahul Roy was her first celebrity crush.
- He posts pictures with various animals on his Instagram account.
Rahul Roy on Instagram