Siddharth Roy Kapur is an eminent film producer, founder and MD of Roy Kapur Films and the President of the Producers Guild of India. He has been the former Managing Director of the Walt Disney Company India and UTV – Studios. Siddharth’s filmography includes some of the highest grossing Indian films of all time as well as genre-defining critically acclaimed films.
|Profession(s)||Film Producer, Businessman|
|Famous For||Being the husband of the Bollywood actress, Vidya Balan|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm|
|in meters- 1.77 m|
|in feet & inches- 5’ 10”|
|Debut||Tamil Film: Vettai (2012)|
|Malayalam Film: Grandmaster (2012)|
|Bollywood Film: Barfi (2012)|
|Barfi Film Poster|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Filmfare Award for Best Film for the film, “Jodha Akbar” (2009)|
|• Screen Award for Best Film for the film, “Jodha Akbar” (2009)|
|• IIFA Award for Best Film for the film, “Jodha Akbar” (2009)|
|• National Film Award for Best Children’s Film for the film, “Chillar Party” (2012)|
|• National Film Award for Best Feature Film for the film, “Paan Singh Tomar” (2013)|
|• Filmfare Award, BIG Star Entertainment Award, Zee Cine Award, Stardust Award & IIFA Award for the film, “Barfi” (2013)|
|• Screen Award for Best Film for the film, “Paan Singh Tomar” (2013)|
|• Society Young Achievers Awards 2013 in the Business category (2013)|
|• The Economic Times – Spencer Stuart ’40 under Forty’ India’s Hottest Business Leaders Award (2014)|
|• Filmfare Award for Best Film for the film, “Dangal” (2017)|
|Date of Birth||2 August 1974 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||45 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||G.D. Somani Memorial School, Mumbai|
|College/University||• Sydenham College|
|• Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS), Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.Com|
|• Masters in Management Studies|
|Hobbies||Reading, Travelling, Watching Films|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Aarti Bajaj|
|• Kavita (Television Producer)|
|• Vidya Balan (Actress)|
|Marriage Date||Third Marriage to Vidya Balan: 14 December 2012|
|Wife/Spouse||• Aarti Bajaj (ex-wife)|
|• Kavita (ex-wife)|
|• Vidya Balan|
|Parents||Father- Kumud Roy Kapur|
|Mother- Salome Roy Kapur|
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Aditya Roy Kapur (actor; younger), Kunaal Roy Kapur (actor & director; younger)|
|Actors||Amitabh Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Siddharth Roy Kapur
- Siddharth Roy Kapur is an eminent film producer.
- He was born in a well-to-do family in Mumbai.
- Siddharth was so obsessed with films in his childhood that he used to force his parents to buy film tickets in black for him.
- He was good at studies in his school days and remained the Head Boy of his school.
- During his college days, he headed the Dramatics Society and also edited the annual college magazine.
- In 1994, Siddharth did a summer internship in a small production house in a basement in Worli, Mumbai. He earned Rs. 2000 a month for his internship.
- After completing his Masters in Management, Siddharth started working as a Brand Manager at Procter & Gamble Company in Mumbai.
- Subsequently, he joined the Star network’s strategic planning division.
- He, then, moved to Hong Kong for a short period for a Newscorp Executive Development Program of the Star TV.
- Thereafter, he moved to Mumbai and worked on the launch marketing of the game reality show “Kaun Banega Crorepati.” Siddharth, then, worked as a Regional Marketing Manager for Star TV.
- In 2002, Siddharth was promoted as the Vice President of Star TV. He was the youngest Vice President in Star TV at that time.
- In 2005, he joined UTV Motion Pictures as a Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications. While working there, he led the marketing panel of various films, including “Rang De Basanti,” and “Khosla Ka Ghosla.”
- In January 2008, Siddharth was promoted as the CEO of UTV Motion Pictures. Under his leadership he produced some of the most successful films of the decade, including “Taare Zameen Par,” “Jodhaa Akbar,” “Fashion,” “Paan Singh Tomar,” “Kai Po Che,” “The Lunchbox,” and “Chennai Express.”
- In 2014, he was promoted as the Managing Director of Disney India.
- In 2017, Kapur left Disney to set up his own production house. In January 2017, he launched his production house, “Roy Kapur Films.”
- Under his production house he produced his first film, ““The Sky Is Pink.”
Siddharth has also produced Netflix’s series “Yeh Ballet.”
- It was filmmaker, karan Johar, who introduced Siddharth with Vidya Balan during a Filmfare Award Function.
- His paternal grandfather, Raghupat Roy Kapur was a film producer.
- Kapur’s maternal grandfather, Sam and grandmother, Ruby Aaron, were teachers of Ball Room and Latin American dance forms in India.
- Kapur has featured on Variety’s #Variety500Global list of the most influential persons in global entertainment for three consecutive years (2018-2020).
- He has also featured on The Economic Times Top 40 Indian Business Leaders Under 40 years of age.
- Siddharth shares is great friends with the film director, Shonali Bose.
Siddharth Roy Kapur on Instagram and Twitter
History shall unfold in the most fascinating way! #SiddharthRoyKapur announces an international scale series adaptation of @DalrympleWill‘s acclaimed global bestseller, #TheAnarchyTheRelentlessRiseofTheEastIndiaCompany#roykapurfilms #series https://t.co/tLt5pmJcrt
— Roy Kapur Films (@roykapurfilms) June 23, 2020